Ometepe Island: Magic between Volcanoes
03 days / 02 nights
Begins and ends at Managua.
Formed of two majestic volcanoes, Concepción and Maderas, Ometepe Island rises out of Lake Nicaragua, being one of the largest freshwater islands in the world.
With its diverse habitats and dazzling array of wildlife, Ometepe was named a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve in 2011. The island is also known for its archeology pieces and pre-Columbian art. Once considered sacred ground by the Nahuatl people, remnants of ancient ceremonial carvings and stone idols can still be seen on the island.
DAY 01 Managua – Ometepe Island
Departure to Ometepe Island. Upon our arrival, we will visit El Ceibo Museum, which houses an archeology collection and a numismatic room. Transfer to your hotel.
DAY 02 Ometepe Island
Breakfast at the hotel. For this day you have 3 options to choose from:
- Hike to Maderas Volcano: 8-hour hike with a high level of difficulty as the humidity transforms the trail into a muddy and slippery path. We will arrive to the lagoon located in the extinct crater of the volcano. The views during the hike are limited as you pass through the misty forest, with tree branches covered with bromeliads and lichens. You will hear birds and howler monkeys hiding in the vast forest.
- Kayaking at Rio Istiam: The Istiam River is a sanctuary of migratory birds and herons. The kayak tour takes about three hours and can be done both in the morning (for a better chance of watching caimans) and in the afternoon (to enjoy a great sunset). During the tour you can enjoy exuberant flora and impressive fauna such as howler monkeys, hundreds of birds and caimans. In addition, you will have beautiful views of the two volcanoes of the island.
- San Ramon waterfall & Ojo de Agua: San Ramon is a gorgeous 50-meter waterfall on the southern slope of Maderas volcano. A clearly marked trail takes you through dense jungle, passing by old trees covered in moss, vines and bromeliads. You might see howler monkeys, birds, butterflies and other insects. Then, we will continue to Ojo de Agua, two natural swimming pools filled with thermal spring water from an underground well.
In the afternoon, you can relax on the beach.
DAY 03 Ometepe Island– Managua
Breakfast at the hotel. In the morning, we’ll visit El Porvenir farm where we can find petroglyphs from pre-Columbian times, when the island was considered a very important ceremonial site. Afterwards, we’ll go to Charco Verde lagoon; to then finally take the ferry back to San Jorge and continue to Managua.
- Private transportation in vehicle with A/C.
- Ferry San Jorge – Ometepe – San Jorge.
- 02 nights in Ometepe.
- Visit to El Ceibo Museum.
- Hike to Maderas Volcano or Kayak at Istiam or Hike to San Ramón waterfall and Ojo de Agua.
- Visit to the petroglyphs and Charco Verde lagoon.
Contact us for more information