El Castillo & San Juan de Nicaragua
Duration: 05 days / 04 nights
Location: Begins & ends in Managua Airport
Visits: El Castillo & San Juan de Nicaragua
Rio San Juan offers the most exotic landscapes, rich wildlife and historic sceneries in its 200 km before reaching the Caribbean Sea. This mighty river has witnessed many historical events since the colonial times when pirates used to enter from the Caribbean Sea using the river, looking for the treasures of the Spanish territories.
In the 19th century, before the existence of the transcontinental railroad in the US and the Panama Canal, taking a ship down to San Juan de Nicaragua (previously known as Greytown) and then a boat through Rio San Juan up to Lake Nicaragua and crossing the narrow strip of land in Rivas, was one of the fastest and most practical ways to get from New York to San Francisco. Several notable figures traveled on this path including Mark Twain who wrote a series of letters documenting his journey.
Explore this “unpeopled paradise” and discover all its hidden secrets.
- Visit the fortress of La Inmaculada Concepcion and learn about the pirates’ attacks in Nicaragua.
- Enjoy nature at its purest form in San Juan de Nicaragua.
- Discover the vestiges of the migrations during the US gold rush in the old Greytown.
DAY 01 (WEDNESDAY) Managua – San Carlos – El Castillo
Early transfer from Managua to San Carlos. This land transfer takes approximately 4 hours. Once in San Carlos we’ll take the itinerary boat to El Castillo. Check-in at the hotel and visit to the Fortress.
DAY 02 (THURSDAY) El Castillo – San Juan de Nicaragua
Early transfer to San Juan de Nicaragua by boat. You will be able to appreciate the lush vegetation and perhaps you’ll get to see some wildlife like caimans, monkeys and birds.
San Juan de Nicaragua was originally founded by the Spanish conquistadors under the name of San Juan del Norte. The town strategic position helped to improve the commercial activity between Nicaragua, the Caribbean and Spain. Then, in the nineteenth century, and under British control, the town of San Juan del Norte, renamed Greytown, became a wealthy city due to port activity and traffic that took place during the gold rush in California.
The strategic importance of Greytown decreased as time passed, and the town gradually deteriorated. The present town of San Juan de Nicaragua, it’s a small village with just over 1800 people.
Upon your arrival at the port of San Juan de Nicaragua, you will be take a boat to Rio Indio Lodge. At night, we’ll do a tour to observe the nocturnal fauna like caimans, amphibious and nocturnal birds.
DAY 03 (FRIDAY) San Juan de Nicaragua
In the morning, we’ll visit the hiking trails that lead to the four cemeteries of Greytown: One is called Frigate Sabina, for the victims of a wrecked; the other three belong to the British, the Catholics and the Freemasons. The few tombstones that remain are from British, Spanish, American and people of other nationalities. Some of the people were captains and diplomats like a consul of the German Empire.
DAY 04 (SATURDAY) San Juan de Nicaragua
Day at leisure.
DAY 05 (SUNDAY) San Juan de Nicaragua – Managua
Free morning. Transfer to the local airport to take the flight back to Managua.
- Private land transfer Managua – San Carlos.
- Itinerary boat San Carlos – El Castillo.
- Itinerary boat El Castillo – San Juan de Nicaragua.
- Local flight San Juan de Nicaragua – Managua
- 01 night in El Castillo.
- 03 nights in San Juan de Nicaragua.
- Visit to the fortress of La Inmaculada Concepcion
- Night tour in San Juan de Nicaragua.
- Tour to Greytown.
Travel Tips for Rio San Juan
- Since Río San Juan is located on the border of Nicaragua and Costa Rica, there are several checkpoints throughout the river, so you must carry your Passport all the time.
- It’s advised to use clothing that covers as much skin as possible.
- Bring mosquito repellent and sunscreen.
- Bring a light rain jacket due to the tropical humid weather.
- Take under consideration that you are traveling to one of the least developed areas in Nicaragua: You will only find ATM in San Carlos.
Contact us for more information