El Castillo & Indio-Maiz
03 days / 02 nights
Begins and ends in Managua
Let us take you to the magical San Juan River where you can find rich wildlife and historic sceneries. We will explore a portion of Indio-Maiz Biological Reserve, which holds a higher number in species of trees, birds, and insects than all of Europe. In addition, we will visit the historical Fortress of La Inmaculada Concepcion, built in 1675.
DAY 01 Managua – San Carlos – El Castillo
Land transfer from Managua to San Carlos where you will take the itinerary boat to El Castillo. At night, you have the option to take a two-hour tour to appreciate the nocturnal fauna like caimans, amphibious and birds.
DAY 02 El Castillo / Indio-Maiz Natural Reserve
Breakfast at the hotel. Transfer to the Indio-Maiz Reserve, where you can observe a variety of flora and fauna and enjoy a swim in the Bartola River. Return to El Castillo.
In the afternoon we will visit the Fortress of La Inmaculada Concepcion, built in 1675 to defend the town from the attacks of pirates who more than once entered from the Caribbean to the city of Granada. The Fortress has an Interpretation Center containing historical data and objects that were used during the defensive system of the XVIII century.
DAY 03 El Castillo – San Carlos – Managua
Early transfer to San Carlos by boat and land transfer back to Managua.
- Private transportation in vehicle with A/C (Managua – San Carlos – Managua).
- Itinerary boat San Carlos – El Castillo – San Carlos.
- 02 nights in El Castillo.
- Hiking at Indio-Maiz Natural Reserve.
- Visit to the Fortress of La Inmaculada Concepcion.
We can quote this program with air transfers if the dates coincide with the flight schedule (Only on Thursdays and Sundays)
Travel tips for Rio San Juan
- Since Río San Juan is located on the border of Nicaragua and Costa Rica, there are several checkpoints throughout the river, so you must carry your Passport all the time.
- It’s advised to use clothing that covers as much skin as possible.
- Bring mosquito repellent and sunscreen.
- Bring a light rain jacket due to the tropical humid weather.
- Take under consideration that you are traveling to one of the most remote areas in Nicaragua: You will only find ATM in San Carlos.
Contact us for more information