07 am – 07 pm
Begins and ends at Managua
Somoto Canyon, declared National Monument, is approximately 7 to 12 million years old. The canyon is 4.7 Km long and 3 meters wide with solid stone walls that reach a height of 250 meters.
The canyon is the origin site of Central America’s largest river, the Coco or Wangki. Among the fauna of the place you can find otters, hawks, rabbits, deer and butterflies like the Blue Morpho. The flora is composed by orchids, agaves and cacti.
Somoto Canyon from Managua
We will pick you up in the early morning from your hotel in Managua to take you to Somoto Canyon, where you can choose from 2 routes:
- Basic Tour (3-4 hours / Low Difficulty): This is the shortest and easiest route. We will get to the entrance of the reserve by vehicle to start a 2.5 Km walk until we reach the canyon. We will continue going through the river, swimming and walking for approximately 2 Km to take the boats and advanced for 700 m. At this point, you have three options: Walking over the rocks for 75 m and have a great view of the canyon // Swim in El Coco river // Float on tires while people from the community are pushing you into the canyon
- Medium Tour (4 hours / Medium High Difficulty): On this route, you go until the middle of the canyon (5-6 Km). It is necessary to be in good physical condition and know how to swim. We will get to the entrance of the reserve by vehicle to start a 2.5 Km walk until we reach the canyon. For the first 500 m, we will walk over the rocks with the water up to our waist. Then we will reach the narrowest part of the canyon where we will swim for 2 Km until we reach the place where the boats are waiting for us. We will advance for 700 m until the end of the canyon. We will finally walk 2.5 Km to return to the vehicle.
Transfer back to Managua. During the return you can stop in some of the charming villages to have lunch (not included).
- Private transportation in vehicle with A/C.
- Entrance fees to Somoto Canyon.
- Boat & lifejackets.
- Local tour guide.
- It is recommended to bring water, swimsuit and comfortable clothes and shoes.
- Bring a spare change of clothes for after the tour.
- In rainy season, a rain jacket is recommended.
- In rainy season, the current can be very strong so the tour is subject to changes due to weather conditions.
- In the Medium Tour there is a 5-6 meter high jump in the rainy season, which is 1-2 meters in summer.
We are sure that if you take this tour it’s because you want to live an amazing adventure and have fun, so keep in mind that your safety is always a priority. Please follow all the instructions provided by our tour guide and be careful while walking on the rocks and swimming on the river.
Contact us for more information