Duration: 03 days / 02 nights
Location: Begins & ends at Managua Airport
Visits: Solentiname & Los Guatuzos Wildlife Refuge
Solentiname archipelago is formed by 36 beautiful islands located on the southeast corner of Lake Cocibolca at the starting point of San Juan River. The islands’ green vegetation with vibrant bright colors create a unique view and have been a great inspiration for local artists that started the painting primitivist movement.
- Visit Los Guatuzos Wildlife Refuge, one of the most important wetlands of the country.
- Witness the amazing talent of the local artisans and painters.
- Learn about the important involvement of the community during the Nicaraguan Revolution.
DAY 01 Managua – San Carlos – Solentiname
Early departure by land transfer from Managua to the port of San Carlos, where you will take the transfer by boat that will take you to Solentiname.
Upon arrival we will tour the San Fernando Island, during which we will visit the Museum and the Casa Taller to appreciate the work of Solentiname artists.
DAY 02 Solentiname – Los Guatuzos – Solentiname
Breakfast at the Hotel. In the morning we will take a tour to Los Guatuzos Wildlife Refuge. We will cross the river Papaturro where you can observe a spectacle of flora and fauna; caimans, turtles, iguanas, monkeys and different species of birds. We will visit the Ecological Center with its Mariposario, caimanario and orchid garden. Transfer back to Solentiname.
In the afternoon we will explore Mancarrón Island where the Church of Solentiname is located. We will also visit the village El Refugio and the community of artisans.
DAY 03 Solentiname – San Carlos – Managua
Breakfast at the hotel. Departure to San Carlos and transfer back to Managua.
- Private land transportation in vehicle with A/C Managua – San Carlos – Managua.
- Private or public boat San Carlos – Solentiname – San Carlos.
- 02 nights in Solentiname.
- All meals during your stay in Solentiname.
- Cultural tour in Solentiname (San Fernando and Mancarro Islands).
- Tour to Los Guatuzos Wildlife Refuge.
We can quote this program with air transfers if the dates coincide with the flight schedule (Only on Thursdays and Sundays).
Travel tips for Rio San Juan
- Since Río San Juan is located on the border of Nicaragua and Costa Rica, there are several checkpoints throughout the river, so you must carry your Passport all the time.
- It’s advised to use clothing that covers as much skin as possible.
- Bring mosquito repellent and sunscreen.
- Bring a light rain jacket due to the tropical humid weather.
- Take under consideration that you are traveling to one of the least developed areas in Nicaragua: You will only find ATM in San Carlos.
Contact us for more information