El Castillo & Indio-Maiz
Duration: 03 days / 02 nights
Location: Begins & ends at Managua
Visits: El Castillo & Indio-Maiz Reserve at Rio San Juan
Let us take you to the magical San Juan River where you can find rich wildlife and historic sceneries. We will explore a portion of Indio-Maiz Biological Reserve, which holds a higher number in species of trees, birds, and insects than all of Europe. In addition, we will visit the historical Fortress of La Inmaculada Concepcion, built in 1675.
DAY 01 Managua – San Carlos – El Castillo
Transfer to San Carlos to take the itinerary boat to El Castillo. At night we will do a two hours tour to appreciate the nocturnal fauna like caimans, amphibious and nocturnal birds.
DAY 02 El Castillo / Indio-Maiz Natural Reserve
After breakfast, we will do a long walk on the trails of Indio-Maiz Natural Reserve. Here we will be able to enjoy an impressive natural landscape and observe the local flora and fauna. After this long walk, we will return to El Castillo where we will do tour around town and visit the fortress of La Inmaculada Concepcion, built in 1675 to protect the town of El Castillo against pirate’s attacks.
DAY 03 El Castillo – San Carlos – Managua
Transfer to San Carlos and transfer back to Managua. End our services.
- Private land transportation in vehicle with A/C Managua – San Carlos – Managua
- Itinerary boat San Carlos – El Castillo – San Carlos
- 02 nights in El Castillo
- Hiking at Indio-Maiz Natural Reserve.
- Visit to the Fortress of La Inmaculada Concepcion.
We can quote this program with air transfers if the dates coincide with the flight schedule (Only on Thursdays and Sundays)
Travel tips for Rio San Juan
- Since Río San Juan is located on the border of Nicaragua and Costa Rica, there are several checkpoints throughout the river, so you must carry your Passport all the time.
- It’s advised to use clothing that covers as much skin as possible.
- Bring mosquito repellent and sunscreen.
- Bring a light rain jacket due to the tropical humid weather.
- Take under consideration that you are traveling to one of the least developed areas in Nicaragua: You will only find ATM in San Carlos.
Contact us for more information