Duration: 08 days / 07 nights
Location: Begins & ends at Managua Airport
Visits: Masaya, Granada, San Juan del Sur & Ometepe.
DAY 01 Airport – Granada
Reception at the airport. Transfer to the hotel in Granada.
DAY 02 Granada – Masaya – Granada
Breakfast at the hotel. We will start the day visiting Masaya Volcano National Park, where you can see up close the active Santiago crater. We will continue to the Handicraft Market where you can find great souvenirs and beautiful crafts made of wood and ceramics, embroidery, hammocks, clothes and jewelry.
Back in Granada, we will visit the museum at San Francisco Convent, which houses an important collection of historical artifacts and paintings, like the 28 pre-Columbian statues from Zapatera Island, dating from the years 800 to 1200 AD. Then, you will have the chance to enjoy the city from a different perspective at the top of the bell tower of La Merced Church. During the city tour, you will get to see Calle Atravesada, Xalteva Church, the Cathedral and the Church of Guadalupe.
DAY 03 Granada – San Juan del Sur
Breakfast at the hotel. Transfer to San Juan del Sur. On our way we’ll visit Mombacho Volcano Natural Reserve. We will drive from the tropical dry forest region, through coffee farms and into the cloud forest humid conditions. Arriving at the top, we will do the 1 Km trail, along which we will observe an unusual collection of orchids, ferns and butterflies.
Then, we will visit Catarina, where you will have the chance to see the beautiful panoramic view of Apoyo lagoon, Mombacho volcano and Granada.
Arrival at San Juan del Sur. The bay of San Juan Del Sur holds one of the most popular beach towns of Nicaragua. San Juan del Sur became a popular port during the gold rush in the US for people heading to California in the 1850s. Nowadays, its long waterfront is lined with delicious seafood restaurants, markets and decks overlooking the bay.
DAY 04 San Juan del Sur
Free day at San Juan del Sur.
DAY 05 San Juan del Sur – Ometepe Island
Transfer to San Jorge to take the ferry to Ometepe. Formed by two majestic volcanoes, Concepción and Maderas, Ometepe rises out of Lake Nicaragua, being one of the largest freshwater islands in the world. With its diverse habitats and dazzling array of wildlife, Ometepe was named a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve in 2011.
DAY 06 Ometepe Island
You have two choices:
- Hike to Maderas Volcano: A hike on the Maderas volcano takes approximately 8 hours. It’s an arduous hike because the humidity transforms the trail into a muddy, slippery path and sometimes you really must climb instead of walk. From the top, you can descend to the crater lagoon. Views during the Maderas hike are limited as you pass through the impenetrable cloud forest, with tree limbs covered in hanging bromeliads and lichens. During the hike, you can hear the calls of hidden birds and monkeys howling somewhere near.
- San Ramon waterfall & Ojo de Agua: San Ramon is a gorgeous 50-meter waterfall on the southern slope of Maderas volcano. A clearly marked trail takes you through dense jungle, passing by old trees covered in moss, vines and bromeliads. Howler monkeys live in this area, as well as a wide variety of birds, butterflies and other insects. Once you reach the waterfall, you can cool off in the small pool at its foot. Then, we will continue to Ojo de Agua, two natural swimming pools filled with thermal spring water from an underground well.
DAY 07 Ometepe Island – Managua
Transfer to Managua. Free day
DAY 08 Managua – Airport
Transfer to the airport according to your flight’s departure time.
- Private transportation in vehicle with air conditioning.
- Ferry San Jorge – Ometepe – San Jorge.
- 02 nights in Granada.
- 02 nights in San Juan del Sur.
- 02 nights in Ometepe Island.
- 01 night in Managua.
- Visit to Masaya Volcano National Park.
- Visit to Masaya’s Handicraft Market.
- City Tour of Granada.
- Visit to Mombacho Volcano Natural Reserve.
- Visit to Catarina.
- Hiking Maderas Volcano or San Ramón waterfall & Ojo de Agua.
Contact us for more information